Bulk organic herbs, spices and essential oils. Sin

What's Your Passion? Want to Write about it and make money? I am..

My Home Remedies Website Want you own? Site Build It!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Kindergarten Kickoff.....

The Fairy-Princess has officially started kindergarten!!!  It's about 5 months earlier than she would start if she were going to public school, however seeing that she has an October birthday, it puts her just about at 5 1/2.  That's not a bad age to start "formal" schooling....not that much of what we do is all that formal, although she does frequently come to school in a "ball gown and tiara" so I guess we're pretty formal after all!


In a previous post, I talked about how the Fairy-Princess didn't like Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, and I was going to try a free curriculum I found online.....Free Reading.  Well, as the saying goes....kids always make a lier out of you.  Apparently the Fairy-Princess is very fond of Teach your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, and she has been enjoying the book.  We're in our 2nd offical week, and already on lesson six!!

Just to give you an idea, we are very relaxed homeschoolers, very, very relaxed.  I am more than willing to drop everything and meet a friend at the playground or spend time outside on a rare, sunny, warm day.  In a typical week, we only do 3 days of book/school-work...(don't worry we go year-round to make up for our laxness during the year).

The Fairy-Princess is a budding artist and loves coloring, writing and workbooks, so we have been supplementing the reading with MCP Phonics, level K, which because it has lots of pictures, the Fairy-Princess loves.

For Math, she is enjoying working through MCP Math K, and  we are learning handwriting with Handwriting Without Tears, although the Fairy-Princess basically learned how to write on her own...well let me re-phrase that.she learned how to write backwards all on her own. She writes her name in perfect mirror-image fashion.  Thankfully, another homeschool mom reassured me that her son also used to write like that, and now he is a genius...so there is hope for her!

I'm also attempting to get started with  Image of God, Who Am I, but we're still working on getting that off the ground.

Of course, we can't forget all the real-life learning that goes on.  Right now, the girls have around 20 wood frog tadpoles swimming around a plastic tank in their bedroom.   We're hoping to watch the magical transformation as they turn into frogs.....and then promptly release them back into their natural environment.  We're definitely NOT looking to recreate the 2nd Plague of Egypt as part of our history.

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha...I love the comment about recreating the 2nd Plague of Egypt(: I have really enjoyed reading your blog-Melissa(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just searching for Catholic Kindergarten ideas and ran across your blog. Boy do you look familiar. I live in Central Wisconsin. Am I crazy? Your husband looks familiar, too. What's up with that? I blog over at Camp Homeschool. Come visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa...thanks!

    Hi Jen, I'm not going to call you crazy..but I've never been to Wisconsin and I don't think my husband has either. ;). I'll have to go check out Camp Homeschool..thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete